So many times we get so caught up in our everyday life of "wanting." We are programmed (don't be fooled)by television, magazines, and really society as a whole into believing that in order to be successful we must HAVE and GET more than our neighbors have or get. We all want the fancy cars, the jewelry, the nice house, we all want the life others will admire and stand back to envy us....but my question is "HOW IN THE WORLD IS THIS NORMAL?" & "WHEN YOU ARE IN THE BUSINESS OF GETTING AND HAVING - WHAT IN THE WORLD IS WORTH GETTING AT A COST SO HIGH?"
Keeping up with the Jones' was never my thing until I started working with a company in Atlanta about two years ago. I became friends with people who were driven by money, power and greed. You know the saying, "birds of a feather flock together..." So I myself was in no way exempt from the adjectives I just used to describe the people I worked for. I had the money, and shopped DAILY (my co-workers & ex will attest to that) and had $300 dinners and so on and so forth....but something inside of me was more miserable than I had ever been. Mind you, I have been through some trials in my life. All of which I am sure will come up in this blog at a later date, but it amazed me that I was not happy with the people I called friends, my job where I worked almost always 7 days a week (without being scheduled of course), and suddenly the money meant nothing as I was giving it all away to those around me in need anyway.
Without even knowing, I was pushing myself away from this misery and challenging myself to FIND A BETTER WAY! Then my second spiritual journey began...and WHOOOOOAAA my life began to "crumble" as I knew it. I was laid off for a bogus reason. The money was gone. I LET GO of the people I called friends, and even my mate at the time disappeared and I was all ALONE. Or so it would seem. Any other year, I would have curled up into a fetal position and played the victim role, but this time I decided to do something new. I began to work on me, and look for that which I "thought" was lost.
As I began to be THANKFUL for all that I had, more came. Whether it was insights, divine intervention, money, food, whatever the case may have been I received more. I began to walk with an attitude of gratitude. My steps were brighter. Most days I would find myself saying "thank you" as one foot took a step in front of the next. I would say "thank you" every time I walked into my garage and saw my car still there. Actually even when my car got repossessed and I was riding the Marta in the rain and would be drenched from Atlanta's famous sideways downtown rain pour, I would still find myself being thankful. (Car was returned...lol)And through that situation, I found a way to be thankful for the "bad" knowing that the lesson was mine to learn so that something new could emerge and be birthed through me.
So today, I remind you all to be aware of your attitude of gratitude. Be thankful not just for what you want, but more so be thankful for what YOU HAVE! Remember, the things you have now were once the things that you had only hoped, dreamed, wished, and prayed for. Count your blessings, you may find that you run out of numbers....
LOVE & LIGHT
The Power of Loss! A beautiful thing. Most would define such occurrences as rude awakening, but whether it be rude or gentle the blessing comes in the awakening.
ReplyDeleteTo God be the Glory,
E. Moore
Well said Erik, well said!
ReplyDelete